Translate

11 June 2014

An amazing haircut experience

It never occurred to me that I would ever blog about a haircut... and it was so much more than a haircut! What I had in Ho Chi Minh City about 10 days ago was 'an amazing haircut experience.'

My ears needed lowering, so I asked the owner of my hotel where she would recommend. She suggested I go about 1-1/2 blocks to a new shop and that I should ask for the boss to cut my hair.


Wow!


I got a great haircut AND the most amazing shampoo treatment ever because it also included a 20-minute scalp massage.


Note 16June2014: The second haircut was disappointing. The good news is that it will grow out. Maybe he had a bad day?

The total cost ~US$8.50 plus tip. Did I say, "Wow!"?


I tipped the owner/my stylist about the same percentage that I tip Heidi who cuts my hair in Olympia. The young lady who did the shampoo/scalp massage earned herself a 100,000 VND (US$5) tip. I returned two days later and requested another shampoo/scalp massage from the same young woman (70,000 VND or ~US$3.50) with equal tip. There's a good chance that I will become a regular customer.

None of my positive reaction had anything to do with the fact that the uniform of the shampoo/scalp massage young ladies is a version of the Catholic school uniforms that are apparently a popular male fantasy in Japan... or that the red plaid skirt featured in this version would very quickly get a girl sent home to change and probably a rap on the knuckles with the Sister's ruler--or was the rap only for the boys?


I was going to ask if I could take a photo to show you, until I remembered that just about everyone already has a mental image...


If you need a haircut in HCMC, head to Ohama Japan Mode, 262-264 Bùi Viện, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1! Their web site is www.ohamajapanmode.vn, the phone number is 08 3838 577 (they ask that you call first, but I walked in), and they're open from 9 a.m. until 10 p.m. 

If you don't need a haircut, at least go in for the shampoo/scalp massage...

There is a bit more going on and I apologize for my lack of postings... I will catch up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment