Translate

17 April 2015

$1 a day

One of the many things that I absolutely LOVE about my new home is that for less than $1 per day I eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies!

Bananas, tomatoes, avocados, custard apples, mangoes, and more...

Custard apple? Yes and it's my new favorite. When I was a kid, my mom would occasionally make "Baked Apples" for dessert—she'd core big red apples and fill the center with (I think) brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Then she'd bake them until soft. It's been at least 40 years since I had one and my mouth is watering as I write this.

The custard apple tastes like an apple with a cinnamon undertone that reminds me of those long-ago desserts every time I eat one. They're purchased green with a bit of give. When they start to darken, it's time to enjoy!

First you pull the stem...
Then you gently pull the "scales" off...
Break it into sections...
and enjoy until only seeds remain.

They're pretty healthy and I'm eating one most days as one of my snacks throughout the day along small bananas (~US 50 cents per pound) bought still on the stalk, mangos, and/or other assorted fruits for others.

Add my daily smoothie made of two small avocados and four plum tomatoes, and I might've spent $1.

If you can find custard apples where you are, give them a try. You'll thank me.


No comments:

Post a Comment